Thursday, May 13, 2010

I NEED HELP CONTROLLING MY DAYCARE CLASS!?

I just started a new job at a day care and my first day went grate but then things want south they started to test me and see what my weakness were and they found them. now they think they can just get away with everything i talked to my mangers and they said that i had to be tough with them, so I have been and its starting to work but i need some ideas for games to play so they will listen to me more.I NEED HELP CONTROLLING MY DAYCARE CLASS!?
I am a teacher so I understand about unruly children. Do you have any sort of punishment/reward system set up? It could be as simple as putting their name on the board under a happy face if they are well behaved and sad face if they are being bad. Punishments for having their name under the sad face could be time out, missing play time, etc. Rewards might be stickers, extra play time, etc.





Kids also have short attention spans, especially if they are young. I don't know what age you are teaching but I have been told that their attention span is only as long in minutes as their age. A 5 year old will be able to do one activity for 5 minutes before he gets bored and starts acting out.





For young kids you can play duck duck goose, ring around the rosy, sing, play freeze tag





for slightly older kids who are reading you can play hangman, go fish, war, and have quiet reading time or read to them! kids of all ages also love coloring, doing mazes, word puzzles, word searches, and crossword puzzles. You can find these online and print them or buy a book and make copies.





If you give me the ages of your kids, I can give some more suggestions. Lastly, your managers are right- you need to be tough with them. Show them you are in charge and they will have punishments if they misbehave.





Good luck!!!!I NEED HELP CONTROLLING MY DAYCARE CLASS!?
Children will test as many waters as they are allowed. The key is to be consistent and never waiver. Also important is the classroom structure and the teamwork of the teachers in the classroom. Children can sense if you are tense or nervous, so try walking in at the beginning of your shift with a strong, positive attitude. Children love to sing, so try interactive songs like ';Hokey Pokey'; or ';If You're Happy and You Know It.'; It will show them that you care and you like to have fun as well as being the boss!
Don't ever let them be bored. Try to do a lot of group projects so you can control them as a group. Then once they know you better and your rules you can trust them to play on their own away from you. Just be firm and consistent, but be fair.
Be firm and be consistent. Say what you mean, and mean what you say - and stand behind it.





If you threaten punishment - follow through.





If you tell them to stop doing something - enforce it.

No comments:

Post a Comment