Thursday, May 13, 2010

My dad wants to completely control my life. im 16 and he wont let me pick my own college or classes!?

My father once told me he would pay for my college if I majored in what he wanted me to major in. I said no and paid my own way thru getting 2 degrees. If you want control of your own life you have to pay your own way.My dad wants to completely control my life. im 16 and he wont let me pick my own college or classes!?
Don't go too hard on your father. Explain to him that you really appreciate the fact that he only wants the best for you and wants you to have a wonderful life, but you'd really rather go your own way when it comes to school. Tell him the different advantages of your choices. Also explain to him that you are basically an adult now and would appreciate it if he'd let you make some of your decisions from now on. %26lt;best answer%26gt;My dad wants to completely control my life. im 16 and he wont let me pick my own college or classes!?
Ask him what is reasons are for not letting you choose your own college or classes? I don't see anything wrong with you choosing that stuff.
Parents sometimes have a real hard time letting go. It isn't about you--so do not think it is. HE is having trouble with you growing up. Is there some room for negotiation? Can you two talk? Where's mom? Stay very cool and collected or you will just prove to him he's right. Take a deep breath, think out specifically what you want from him and sit down and negotiate a middle ground. If there is no middle ground, then you have a decision to make. Stand your ground (with love but mean it) or cave. Tough one.
I am really sure that your Father has your best interest at heart. It is not unusual for parents to have the final say about where their children go to college. College tuition and living expenses are extremely high so I would think that if you want a college degree, it really won't hurt you to at least give their pick a chance.
Talk to him, tell him that is something that will determine who you are as an adult and that should be your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment