Thursday, May 13, 2010

MS/HS Students or teachers -- are your classes getting wild and out of control now??

I'm new to teaching public school, and I wondered if this is ';normal'; for students to be so wild right now (late Feb.). I teach 8th grade, and spring fever usually started in -- uh -- spring at the private school where I used to teach.





What's up with this? I can barely get lessons in!!! I try hard not to be too boring.MS/HS Students or teachers -- are your classes getting wild and out of control now??
yes--it's February, the longest month of the year! (for teachers).





Everyone is tired of school. It's time to change things up in your class. Change seats. Change your method somewhat. (if you did a lot of group work, do individual. If you did individual, do group.) Some kind of project is good.





Also re-up your own discipline. You may have gotten to know your kids well and relaxed. Take a hard look at yourself. Are you letting little things slide? Try 'enforceable statements' a la Love and Logic. ';I grade papers that are turned in on time.'; ';I let quiet students stay in the class.'; (be sure you have a place to put a student it you take him out.) Two minutes in the hall is fine. (Pause, step out, Can you be quiet now? Will you be quiet now? Thank you. The will you is important.)





Anyway, we're all having it. It's minor chaos everywhere, but if you both make a change for a week or so and tighten the reigns (go back over your rules and procedures, or give a test on rules and procedures or something.) (See Harry Wong, The First day of School for the difference between rules and procedures). When there's sunlight again when you get to school and when you leave, you and the students will both feel better.





(Then the after spring break thing, when the only person working in the room is the teacher...well, don't get me started!)MS/HS Students or teachers -- are your classes getting wild and out of control now??
it isn't you...i thought i was going to kill at least 2 classes last week...i know in nyc, where i teach the big exams are over so the kids think the year is over...
I'm a senior in HS and three of my classes are loud and wild. For HS, it's not normal. For MS, maybe but mostly no. Sorry that I have no advice for you. I am like the most quiet student in all of my classes. lol Good luck out there!
Yep. Unruly classes seem to be more so in the US than in other countries. I've polled teachers online about this, and why they think that is. Closest conclusion that I can arrive at is that it is a cultural thing. US as a culture, lets kids make mistakes and the consequences are less harsh. US in general, spoils our kids more. Even the low-income students are spoiled. My low-income students can't afford to come to class with pencils or papers, but they all have an iPod and cell phone. Oprah had the best quote. See my link to see what she said.
Make sure that you are firm
As a substitute teacher, I have the opportunity to teach in many different schools. I actually prefer middle school because of the students' developing minds and personalities. What I can say is that how the students behave in your school has a relationship to how well the discipline system is enforced.





The school I worked at today has an administration that caters to the students' bad behavior (because they have such a ';bad '; life so far). It has an eight step program before any student is actually disciplined. The students that will misbehave know this and use it to their advantage. By the time a student gets to the eighth step, the teacher just doesn't care anymore and the disruptions in the classroom have destroyed any decent learning environment. This only encourages some of the remaining students to begin their downward spiral. And chances are good that the teacher won't even begin the process for the next misbehaving student. Some of the students in this school walk the halls whenever they want, come into class late, talk during instruction, and are openly defiant to teachers (especially the subs). They know nothing will come of it. And even if by some miracle they are suspended, it is only for three days and they are raised to hero status by their peers.





I have been to many good middle schools. It doesn't matter what the socio-economic status nor their state test scores may be. What has been important is what discipline system was in place and the administrations readiness to use it. As long as the students know that learning and teaching will not interrupted, the classes seem to go well.





I only tell you this because you need to really look at how the discipline system is designed and implemented at your school. Change what needs to be changed starting now. Or for your peace of mind, start looking for another place to teach.
Strict


Discipline is the key
ya all my classes are out of controll. especially ones at the end of the day
You need to work on your classroom management.Seasons have nothing to do with the behaviour of students,the teacher does!
Yes its normal but, I think the key is to put your foot down from the begining, Your there to teach and they are there to learn not to be friends etc.
My classes are getting louder now, too. At lunch this week, all of the teachers have been complaining. I think everyone is tired of school right now. Only two weeks until spring break for us - and we sure need it!
Discipline! If your children are unruly and out of control, warn them. If they continue, write them up and send them off to the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment