Sunday, January 24, 2010

Can't control my stuttering when answering a question in class?

K So i am currently in high school, and when I was younger, I used to have a servere stuttering problem, evening in daily conversations. But then I went to a speech therpist, and my most of my problem is fixed: I only stutter seldomly in daily conversation, and when I am reading out loud to myself, because I can now control my breathing and use easy onset. But, I find that even if I read my homework answers aloud to myself the night before with no problems, when it comes to the teacher picking on me to answer a question, I usually freeze up, and manage only to read a few words from my answer before I start to struggle with a word that I'm usually able to say, and am forced to use ';stutterer's substitution';, which makes my answer strange and often wrong. What I really dislike is that I KNOW the answer to all the questions that the teacher asks, and I recite the answers to myself in my head, but I am afraid to raise my hand to answer, because I am afraid that I might stutter. I tried to use the strategies suggested to me by my therpist when I have to answer questions in school, but somehow, they won't work (They worked when I was reciting the answers to myself the night beofore). This has been really bugging me because I'm the smartest in the class, and the teacher is really stumped at why I can be so smart on paper, but I never raise up my hand to answer questions, and even screw up on answering the really simple ones. Please help, this is really bugging me! I should be getting 100s on my report card, but because of my low participation rate, Im getting a 95!Can't control my stuttering when answering a question in class?
You might have deeper problems than just stuttering. How you describe ';freezing up'; seems to suggest that you might have a form of anxiety, almost like stage fright, when it comes to being put on the spot in a large group. It might force your stutter to resurface, and/or just the anxiety of thinking about stuttering in front of everyone probably makes it worse. If you can answer without a stutter when you control your breathing and you're calm, maybe something is getting in the way of utilizing those techniques when you're in class.





I'd try seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. Anxiety is extremely common in people with speech impediments, and only worsens them. Since you can speak fine at home, and it's only in class that you have problems, there's something more at play than the stutter itself. They can teach you coping mechanisms to increase your level of calm even on the spot, or prescribe things like Prosaic or Zoloft that help diminish the effects of anxiety.





Plus, if you're officially diagnosed with anxiety or someone evaluates your stutter, you can request that your teachers be given notice about your needs in class, so that participation points don't count against you or that accommodations are made. It's simply not fair that someone would have to try so harder than everyone else to participate, because it's so much more difficult and stressful for them than it is for others. Thus, schools are typically required by law to make accommodations so that you can get the good grades you deserve without being asked to do anything that you shouldn't be asked to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment