Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Does anyone have any tips for gaining control in a class room of five year olds?

I just started working with a kindergarten class room at a day care. I can't seem to get them to listen (well about 1/4 of the class) the rest cry and complain all day 2 me that so and so won't share. I have just started figuring out that the best way to discipline them is to make them sit outside during recess. and encooraging clean up by offering treats. With that said, there are still some ch9ildren who won't listen and will even fight me when i put them in time out. ( I don't belive their parents care either so they don't care when i threaten to tell their parents.) Anyway, I would like to gain control of these specific children, so I can watch the rest of the class room and even be able to play with them!Does anyone have any tips for gaining control in a class room of five year olds?
ACTIONS speak louder than words sometimes. IF you have 'threatened' to tell their parents then you need to follow through. I have to ask...do you have these children all day or just a hour or so? Ok so here are my suggestions: First...five year olds don't have a very long attention span so you really have to work hard to engage children this age. ANYTHING. Usually if they are involved in the process they listen 'allot' better. Example: make finger puppets from a pair of old gloves. I'm quite sure you have all the information you need to help, but here's a few that I found that you might like.


http://www-tc.pbs.org/parents/earlymath/鈥?/a>


http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-cra鈥?/a>


http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/crafts鈥?/a>








Final note: I 'always' try to CATCH a child doing something good and I make a huge deal out of it. The other kids see this and in turn WANT to get the same praise, so they'll also do something good. Now this doesn't work for every child and I'm sure you know this, but I do wish you the best.Does anyone have any tips for gaining control in a class room of five year olds?
Kindergarden is hard.Well first what I would do is get a weekly behavior chart give a sticker for each kid who is good at the end of week and reward them.You take those bad kids out give them 3 warings and if they don't stop you call the parents or send a letter home explaining to the parent what the kid do!!!
rent Kindergarten Cop
Well, keep them entertained with games for their age. I still remember when I was 5 %26amp; I remember Its just that I needed what I wanted. Or maybe they just miss their parents
give them spankies
make an example of one of them... or, threaten them with imminent violence; take off your belt and start cracking it. if any get brave you gotta be willing to use it.
When I worked with 4 - 5 year olds, I made up a chart with their names... when they did something good, kind, clever or braved out of their comfort zone I would give them a star. At the end of the week, have a lucky dip ready and the one/s with the most stars gets to pick a prize. (Kids love opening presents and it is so exciting having to choose one). I had a girl and boy winner.... the other kids tried extra hard to be good etc so they could be the winner and pick a present.





When you want the class attention, do something like raise your hand/arm in the air or blow a whistle. Explain what you are doing, and say when you raise your arm/blow the whistle, get them to sit on the mat and wait quietly. Reward the ones that come quickly. (Even lots of praise, get the kids that got to the mat first and waited, get them to stand up and reap rewards on them... get all the kids to clap... tell the children's parents... make a huge deal of it)





You could also make certificates, such as


CONGRATULATIONS TO


MICHAEL


FOR


SHARING HIS TOYS


(This way they have something positive to show his parents)


Make sure you give them out to the ';naughty'; kids... find something that they did well - kids work better with praise and really want to try harder)


After doing this for some time, they should become quiet and go to the mat every time you raise your arm/blow the whistle.





Consistency is the key.





Do lots of fun activities, not just the colouring in and painting. Get some clay and make master pieces, make photo frames, marble painting, vegetable painting, ball games, duck duck goose, 3 leg races, a group story book, collages, get them all to make a town out of the blocks and old boxes.





Make sure you aren't using time out incorrectly, as while I agree with it, you can become to ';use'; to giving it out. This can build up resentment. (I really only used time out for hitting, biting, not sharing, bullying and being rude.)


Try and use praise and prevent the acts from happening. Take the time to explain to the child what is expected of them.


Give them 3 warning BEFORE time out is given (unless they have really hurt someone). This way they will begin to understand what they can and cannot do.





If you threaten to tell the parents, you have no choice but to follow through, otherwise this is an empty threat.


Go to work happy as kids seem to tell when you don't want to be with them... don't stand up over them, get down to their level.
when i was five, i was in 1st grade........wtf??

No comments:

Post a Comment