Friday, January 22, 2010

For my Photo 1 class I need a 35mm camera with manual controls. What should I buy?

I am very new to this, hence why I am taking the class, so I'm not sure of photography lingo, what the camera entails, what type I should get, where I should get it, what brands are good. Anything would help a lot. Thanks!For my Photo 1 class I need a 35mm camera with manual controls. What should I buy?
As always, I suggest the venerable Pentax K1000. This is a 100% all manual camera and widely considered the best student camera. Buy one with a 50mm f1.8 lens and the Owner's Manual and you'll be ready for class. You'll need one A76 or LR44 or SR44 battery for the light meter.





Here are some trusted on-line sellers:





http://www.adorama.com


http://www.keh.com


http://www.bhphotovideo.com


http://www.beachcamera.com


http://www.uniquephoto.com





These sellers usually have a 30 day warranty on used equipment and a reasonable return policy.For my Photo 1 class I need a 35mm camera with manual controls. What should I buy?
Usually photography classes want you to have a manual-focus camera with a minimum of manual/aperture-priority/shutter-priorit鈥?modes. If you want a new camera the bodies you would be looking at would be the Nikon FM10 or the Tokina-Kenko KF-1N/KF-2N (which are nikon-mount but slightly better build quality than the FM-10, which is actually made by Cosina not Nikon).





Assuming you want to keep things affordable, checking Craigslist or used camera shops (cameras bought on ebay are often in dubious condition), you have a much wider range to look for. Decent choices would be the Pentax K-1000, Nikon FM/FE/FG/FA, Canon A-1/AE-1/T-series, Minolta XD-7, Olympus OM1/2, etc.
When I was in college (early 90's) the standard recomendation was the Pentax K1000. Fully manual, cheap, plentiful, and plenty of ways to build up a really good collection from that foundation. (assuming you stick w/photography).





I started off with a Yashica F3(?) because that was my dad's old camera that he gave me. But with that foundation I was able to build a very nice collection of Contax/Ziess lenses, and then eventually moved up to very good Contax bodies as my skills and knowledge progressed.
Gold Wing is right.





Look on craigslist for a good used Nikon or Canon 35 mm SLR with standard zoom lens for under $150. The reason I say Nikon or Canon, is because you never know if you will decide to go pro until after you have successfully completed two or three classes in photography. I cannot see ever buying something that is going to have to be replaced later. Especially since at the price of used cameras are all about the same.





LINK to such a camera in my area:





http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/97鈥?/a>
Go to ebay OR craigslist.com. look for 35mm camera...the good ones were/are Nikon(more than you need), Minota (priced right and a darn good camera, Pentax (very nice camera) and Canon (a very good camera)


Try to get one with a prime lens (the main lens) of 50 or so mm f/1.4....with this lens, you can learn all things necessary in photography. With a 50mm lens, you can do macro/micor photography with add on lenses. A wide angle lens for a 35mm lens would be 28mm, and a telephoto lens would be anything 100 or more mm.





good luck
i have a nikon fm10


http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/com鈥?/a>


and that seems to be what most phot. 1 classes require


either that or a canon ae1





youcould email your teacher and ask, but those two are manual 35mm


good luck with your class!





oh i got mine off of ebay for about $100, just be careful and make sure they're not ripping you off :D
The camera will have a manual wind lever and a dial to control the shutter.





Here are some popular ones:


Nikon FM, Nikon FM2, Nikon FM10


Pentax K1000


Canon A-1


Olympus OM4, OM10.





The source link is for an OM10 with 3 lenses for %26lt;$40 on ebay (don't know seller):
a 35 mm camera with manual focus

No comments:

Post a Comment