Sunday, January 24, 2010

Do u think it's always easier to control ur classes by using blackboard than by using handouts?

I use the blackboard a lot and I know a lot of people say that you are turning your back to the students, so you can't really control the class. I feel the opposite, when students are taking notes they are better behaved because they are kept occupied for the entire class.


I do use handouts with an overhead that we fill in together. The problem with the handout is that I often find them after class on the floor or even in their notebooks, empty.Do u think it's always easier to control ur classes by using blackboard than by using handouts?
Neither... using the blackboard requires that you turn your back on class. This can be largely avoided by posting the information on the board before class begins.Handouts allow the students to be passive. this can be partly avoided by only providing the skeleton or outline, and students fill in notes during discussion.





When I taught in schools, we used the overhead projector a lot. This way the teacher is facing the class when writing information, overheads can be made up ahead of time, and the writing is larger so that people with visual problems can see better. However, now that I work at the college level, I am developing a fondness for ';Smart Board'; technology. This allows me to use my computer to project information. I can type in information, so that the students can see font instead of my questionable handwriting. I like this because it is fast; I can preload information on computer disk instead of taking time to make an overhead.Do u think it's always easier to control ur classes by using blackboard than by using handouts?
The advantage of handouts it that the teacher never need turn his/her back to the class. So for the purpose of control, there is less opportunity for students to lose focus. It is also helpful if there is opportunity for the students to fill in blanks or highlight important points in the lecture as a way to keep them focused.
I prefer handouts in a classroom. i was amazed at how many students really don't know how to take usable notes. it also eliminates the issues of students mistaking notes on the blackboard (I have really messy handwriting) and you don't haqve to worry if evetyone can see what you've written.
I prefer handouts, especially with lower-level classes. I usually provide space on the handouts for students to fill in any blackboard explanations. Give them a time limit for turning pages in. Also, I put puzzles among the handouts to get them interested in committing pencil to paper.
People/students need to hear and see what they are learning 7 times before it sinks in...so, in my opinion...a combination of visual materials is extremely important.
I'd say handouts. There's just something about having something in your hands to work with that students respond to better.





Both are useful tools, but I've had better luck with handouts.
I prefer handouts, one can take handouts home and study.
  • lip plumper
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment